Elecnor to build Kuwait's first wind farm for US$24mn

windfarm-chrisgoldberg-flickrThe 10MW wind farm will be set up in the Shagaya Renewable Energy Park in Kuwait City. (Image source: Chris Goldberg/Flickr) Spanish renewable energy solutions provider Elecnor has won a US$24mn contract to build Kuwait’s first wind farm, which will have a capacity of 10MW

The project includes the engineering, construction and installation of five 2MW wind turbines, connection to a 132 kV sub-station and the start-up and subsequent maintenance of the facility for six years, said Elecnor officials.

The wind farm will be built in the Shagaya Renewable Energy Park, they added. The project will be jointly undertaken by Elecnor, with a 60 per cent share and Kuwaiti multinational Alghanim International with the remaining 40 per cent share.

The Shagaya Renewable Energy Park is a major Kuwaiti government project that aims to enable the nation to meet its energy needs through renewables. Elecnor’s latest project in the country is part of the first phase of developing the renewable energy park, along with a solar thermal and PV plant. Together, the three facilities will have a capacity of 70MW.

The company has been making a presence in MENA. In 2014, Elecnor won a US$90mn contract to build a wind farm in Maan, Jordan. According to the company, Kuwait is one of the MENA nations that it seeks to expand its presence in.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?