ACWA Power and Harbin Electric International to develop GCC’s first clean coal power plant

coalpowerplant byrev pixabayThe clean coal power plant is a step ahead in the direction of diversified power solutions. (Image source: Byrev/Pixabay)A consortium comprising ACWA Power and Harbin Electric International has been chosen as the preferred bidder to develop, construct, own and operate Phase 1 of the 1,200MW Hassyan clean coal power plant

Located on the border between Dubai and Abu Dhabi, the plant is the GCC’s first coal-based power plant and is designed to be very efficient and environment-friendly. The plant will include transshipment coal and dry bulk handling facilities.

DEWA CEO Saeed Mohammed Al Tayer said, “DEWA is adding another initiative to diversify Dubai's energy mix and support the Dubai integrated Energy Strategy 2030. This wide international participations reflects the trust and confidence of international investors to invest in Dubai's government.”

The Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) will hold a 51 per cent equity stake in the company, while ACWA and Harbin Electric will hold the remaining 49 per cent. The winning bid has delivered a compelling value proposition to DEWA with a levelised cost of electricity of 4.501 cents/kWh based on May 2015 coal prices and payable under a 25-year power purchase agreement (PPA).

Harbin Electric International chairman Guo Yu said that Dubai has always promoted diversified power solutions with a focus on clean fuels. The Hassyan coal project can be considered a milestone in this strategy, he added.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?