China’s Trina Solar to develop solar project in Jordan

solar-jordanOnce operational, it will be the largest solar farm in Aqaba. (Image source: Brookhaven National Laboratory/Flickr)China’s Trina Solar has signed an agreement with Shamsuna Power to build, operate and maintain a 10MW solar project in Jordan

The solar farm, located in the Aqaba Special Economic Zone, will utilise 40,320 of Trina Solar’s 250Wp TSM- PC05A modules. The project is scheduled to begin in December 2014, Changzhou-based Trina Solar said. Once operational, it will be the largest solar farm in Aqaba, Jordan.

Amman-based Foursan Capital Partners will hold an 85 per cent stake in the project with Shamsuna Power owning the remaining 15 per cent. The solar farm is reportedly a part of the Jordanian government’s goal of getting 10 per cent of the country’s power from renewable energy by 2020.

The project is expected to generate over 19GWh of power annually helping to meet the growing demand for electricity in Jordan and reducing carbon emissions by approximately 11,500 tonnes per year. All output generated by the project will be sold to Jordan’s National Electric Power Company (NEPCO) under a 20-year power purchase agreement (PPA).

Once completed in Q2 2015, Trina Solar would provide operation and maintenance services on the project based on a five-year service agreement with a possible five-year extension upon mutual agreement.

Shadi Haddadin, plant manager of Shamsuna Power, said, “We are delighted to work with Trina Solar to build the largest solar farm in Aqaba.

“We regard this partnership as a win-win endeavour, and we look forward to continuing our success by working with Trina Solar again in the future.”

Qi Lin, president of PV systems business unit at Trina Solar, added that the project provided the firm with valuable first-hand experience in operating a solar system in a desert environment, as well as substantial knowledge of local grid companies that would help Trina Solar accelerate its pace of project development in the Middle East.

“The Jordanian government has introduced new incentives to encourage the development of solar projects throughout the country with the aim of increasing renewable energy contributions to 10 per cent of the country’s generation mix by 2020. We look forward to playing a meaningful role in Jordan’s efforts to develop its solar sector and to leveraging Trina Solar’s global brand, proven track record and technological expertise to rapidly penetrate the broader Middle East market,” he added.

Alain Charles Publishing, University House, 11-13 Lower Grosvenor Place, London, SW1W 0EX, UK
T: +44 20 7834 7676, F: +44 20 7973 0076, W: www.alaincharles.com

twn Are you sure that you want to switch to desktop version?